Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ortegaoo

Why do I have to upgrade to "Self Employed" to claim common deductions on my 1099 MISC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Why do I have to upgrade to "Self Employed" to claim common deductions on my 1099 MISC?

To enter expenses for self-employment, you have to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed if you are using TurboTax Online.  Deluxe will only handle the income side of self-employment and not the expenses.  

You can manually enter your expenses, but only using the desktop versions of the software.  It is not possible in the Online versions.  The desktop versions have ''Forms Mode'', which allow you enter expenses without going through an interview.  I have included instructions if you would like to switch to the desktop version.  

Switch from Online to Desktop  

What is Forms Mode

If you want to enter expenses and don't want to upgrade or switch to desktop, you can look into the Freedom Edition, links provided below. This edition is free for some users and will handle both the income and expenses of a Schedule C.

Do I Qualify for TurboTax Freedom Edition 

How To Switch To Freedom

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

To enter expenses for self-employment, you have to upgrade to TurboTax Self-Employed if you are using TurboTax Online.  Deluxe will only handle the income side of self-employment and not the expenses.  

You can manually enter your expenses, but only using the desktop versions of the software.  It is not possible in the Online versions.  The desktop versions have ''Forms Mode'', which allow you enter expenses without going through an interview.  I have included instructions if you would like to switch to the desktop version.  

Switch from Online to Desktop  

What is Forms Mode

If you want to enter expenses and don't want to upgrade or switch to desktop, you can look into the Freedom Edition, links provided below. This edition is free for some users and will handle both the income and expenses of a Schedule C.

Do I Qualify for TurboTax Freedom Edition 

How To Switch To Freedom

Thanks for the wonderfully helpful and Very thorough answer. You don't get to many of those these days.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies