turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

To charge an additional $24.99 to efile the state return, when your package states "free" state return, is misleading. LET THE BUYER BEWARE?

You don't need more details???

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

To charge an additional $24.99 to efile the state return, when your package states "free" state return, is misleading. LET THE BUYER BEWARE?

Also be aware that to have the state efile fee or any additional services deducted from your Federal refund there will be an EXTRA $39.99 Refund Processing Service charge.  In both the Desktop and Online versions.  So pay up front with a credit card to avoid the extra charge.  Then your federal refund will go directly from the IRS to your bank account and not though the intermediate bank to take the fees out.

View solution in original post

17 Replies

Also be aware that to have the state efile fee or any additional services deducted from your Federal refund there will be an EXTRA $39.99 Refund Processing Service charge.  In both the Desktop and Online versions.  So pay up front with a credit card to avoid the extra charge.  Then your federal refund will go directly from the IRS to your bank account and not though the intermediate bank to take the fees out.

There is a lot of confusion about this. For the Desktop versions Deluxe and above, it's a free download of one state preparation PROGRAM, not returns filed. You can prepare unlimited federal and unlimited state returns. Some people need to file in more than one state so they have to buy another state program at 39.99. You can print and mail the state for free or each state return (including the first one) is 19.99 until Mid March, then goes to 24.99.

Box says Federal Returns & Federal E-File plus State returns.  It does not say state efiling is included.  It also says on the back on my CD case in the chart comparing the versions.....
1 state product via download (print free  or efile for $19.99 each) prices subject to change without notice.

Sorry but you need to read the details on anything you buy ... this has been the same way forever.

I always e-file the Federal and mail the state for the cost of postage.  Done this for years.   State e-fileing from the CD/download versions has NEVER been free (except New York).   Also beware that there two versions of the Deluxe CD, one with free state *software* and one without that is cheaper if you do not file a state return.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I was annoyed by this as well...I downloaded from the website without buying a CD so I did not realize the state e-file was not included. I would have just printed it, but with government services being impacted by the Corona Virus when I filed, I thought it was best just to suck up the unexpected charge. I've been using Turbo Tax for years and do not recall paying for state twice...maybe next year I try another companies product.

The state PROGRAM is included in all the downloaded versions except BASIC when purchased thru TT directly ... efiling of the state return is extra ... always has been always will.   You have the option to print and mail the return instead if you wish. 

kaykay_1

Truly , this feels so bad. When I called in last year ( 2019) , someone waived this off without saying anything. 

I will sulk but e-file this year . Next year, bye bye turbo. 

All efiles should be free. We already pay for federal and additional states.

lindsmark

Same experience, one State return FREE is what it said yet you are charged $24.99. I have been using Turbotax for years, this is the first time I have encountered this issue. I shall be demanding a refund. I consider this to be illegal/misleading advertising.

Has anyone been successful in obtaining a refund from Turbotax ????

Am totally Pissed !!!! 

lindsmark

kay_kay !, do you have a phone # for the jokers?

C s

I paid the $25 to file the State return but the Federal return was rejected. Tried 10 times. I finally printed and mailed them. How do I get a refund. 

LindseyLO
Intuit Alumni

Help requesting a refund has been provided by clicking here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks.. but the gauntlet one has to move through to get the refund is intense. There are so many rules in place, that only a select few offendees can actually get the refund. So, yes, there's a window into the refund process (you provide) but that window's closed for most requests. Thanks for your info tho... for a select few it might work. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies