Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Three apparent errors related to Schedule A

Hello,

I have found what appears to be three calculation errors related to Schedule A.

1. The total shown on Schedule A does not match the amount on 1040-SR, Line 12.
    Schedule A shows $29,972 on line 17, while 1040, Line 12 shows $30,700.
  2. Turbotax set MD Form 502 to use the standard deduction, not the itemized deduction, which is larger.
    Whether the Federal Itemized Deduction is $29,972 or $30,700, the MD State Itemized Deduction should be much higher than the MD State Standard Deduction of $5,150 for Married Filing Jointly.
    By my hand calculation, the MD state Itemized Deduction should be $29,972 - $4,141 = $25,831.
  3. None of the Save/Print options include Schedule A. It is not listed in the Forms window for any of the options under “What forms would you like to generate?’ and is not included in the pdf file.

I 'Sent tax file to Agent' and have a token number if I can confirm an Intuit representative is responding to this message.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The amount on your form 1040 line 12 is your increased standard deduction likely based on you and your spouse's ages.  It is higher than your itemized deductions $29,972.  Since you did not itemize on your federal return you cannot itemize your MD return.  The MD standard deduction is automatic when the federal standard deduction is selected.  See the "Exemptions and Deductions" section in this MD reference

That is also why the schedule A does not print; it is not included in your returns.

Since your federal itemized deductions are just a bit short of the federal standard deduction but the difference on your MD return is significant you can elect to go with smaller itemized deductions on your federal return and allow the itemization on the MD return.  

In the "Deductions & Credits" section click continue through to the end where you will see a breakdown of the standard vs itemized deductions.  On that page you can select "Change my deductions" to elect the slightly smaller itemized deductions. 

@DWhit2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The amount on your form 1040 line 12 is your increased standard deduction likely based on you and your spouse's ages.  It is higher than your itemized deductions $29,972.  Since you did not itemize on your federal return you cannot itemize your MD return.  The MD standard deduction is automatic when the federal standard deduction is selected.  See the "Exemptions and Deductions" section in this MD reference

That is also why the schedule A does not print; it is not included in your returns.

Since your federal itemized deductions are just a bit short of the federal standard deduction but the difference on your MD return is significant you can elect to go with smaller itemized deductions on your federal return and allow the itemization on the MD return.  

In the "Deductions & Credits" section click continue through to the end where you will see a breakdown of the standard vs itemized deductions.  On that page you can select "Change my deductions" to elect the slightly smaller itemized deductions. 

@DWhit2

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Your Standard Deduction is more.  You both must be over 65

For 2023 the standard deduction amounts are:

Single 13,850 + 1,850 or 65 and over or blind

HOH 20,800 + 1,850 for 65 and over or blind

Joint 27,700+ 1,500 for each 65 and over or blind (both 30,700)

Married filing Separate 13,850 + 1,500 for 65 and over or blind

Another case of user (my) error/misunderstanding. Thank you for your response. The federal form 1040 isn't as clear as the MD form on whether the standard or itemized deduction was used, but you are correct. This is the first year in decades that our itemized is less than the standard.

I will look into the ramifications of choosing the itemized on the Federal so we can use it on the MD state form.

Thanks again!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies