turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

NY requires me to e-file tax returns but your software will not let me without e-filing federal returns. My fed returns has been paper filed 2 months ago.

You cannot e-file a state tax return if the federal return was not e-filed.  New York only requires the state return to be e-filed if your software allows e-filing.  Since the software will not let you e-file the state return then you are allowed to print and mail the New York state income tax return.

View solution in original post

163 Replies

You cannot e-file a state tax return if the federal return was not e-filed.  New York only requires the state return to be e-filed if your software allows e-filing.  Since the software will not let you e-file the state return then you are allowed to print and mail the New York state income tax return.

zaronson

This is also happening to me and turbotax has no answers.

The answer above was provided.
zaronson

understood but turbotax cannot tell me why the state cannot be E Filed.

Did you e-file the federal tax return and was it accepted by the IRS?
zaronson

yes

If the state return cannot be e-filed the program had to give some type of message of why it could not be e-filed.
zaronson

There is no reason provided for the state.  My federal return was E filed and accepted.
zaronson

I've called twice in the past couple days and was on the phone for an hour each time and they cannot figure out why the program is not allowing it.
mcou924

i e-filed my federal and it wont let me e-file the state
embob7

I can not e-file a non resident state return, my resident state and federal return are going through without issue. What is the issue this year? I have been using this service for years and have never had a problem e-filing the non resident state return.
embob7

Non resident NY form can not be e-filed, been trying for hours. What is the issue?
zaronson

They have no answer. I was told to wait until 2/22/2019 at which point NYS will release “certain forms.” Still doesn’t work, obviously this is an issue effecting a bunch of people that TurboTax should address. I called the NYS tax division and they said I should be able to E file.
embob7

WHen trying to file: E-File is not available because your tax return includes a tax situation that can't be e-filed. Revisit the Review section to see more details.
There is no further explanation of what that tax situation may be. Review offers nothing, it reviews and states return looks great and ready to file. Please look into this. It seems to be happening with NY e filing based on above comments, perhaps its on your end.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies