turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

averetteb

Where do I enter Form 8919

I received a 1099-MISC as a contract labor and believe I was treated as an employee and should have received a W-2. I sent in my form SS-8 for Proper Worker Status. I now need help on where to file my 8919.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

This information is entered in a different area of the program then regular W2s.  It is found under Federal (or Personal) Taxes -> Wages and Income -> Less Common Income -> Misc Income -> Other Income Not Already Reported on A Form W2 or Form 1099

The quickest way to get there is to use the search feature in the top right hand corner (magnifying glass icon).  
  • Search for "8919" and then click the jump to "8919" link (if you are just logging into your account, make sure you click the Take Me to My Return button before performing the search).
  • You will get sent to the Other Wages Received Page
  • You will click Yes and proceed until you get to Any Other Earned Income
  • Click Yes to this question because you have other income that should be on a W2
  • Leave check next to employee compensation that was not reported on a W2
  • Next screen will be Employee Compensation that was not reported on a W2
  • This screen will explain Form 8919 and SS-8.  TurboTax will prepare and file Form 8919 for you with your return, but you will need to file SS-8 on your own (link below - though looks like you already took care of this part)
  • Next screen will have to report your wage information
  • Next screen will remind you that a Form SS-8 is required
  • Next screen will ask if these wages were reported on a 1099MISC
  • That will be the end of this section (program interview may go on to ask about other less common income types)

Form SS-8 Determination of Worker Status - link to form and instructions:

View solution in original post

3 Replies

This information is entered in a different area of the program then regular W2s.  It is found under Federal (or Personal) Taxes -> Wages and Income -> Less Common Income -> Misc Income -> Other Income Not Already Reported on A Form W2 or Form 1099

The quickest way to get there is to use the search feature in the top right hand corner (magnifying glass icon).  
  • Search for "8919" and then click the jump to "8919" link (if you are just logging into your account, make sure you click the Take Me to My Return button before performing the search).
  • You will get sent to the Other Wages Received Page
  • You will click Yes and proceed until you get to Any Other Earned Income
  • Click Yes to this question because you have other income that should be on a W2
  • Leave check next to employee compensation that was not reported on a W2
  • Next screen will be Employee Compensation that was not reported on a W2
  • This screen will explain Form 8919 and SS-8.  TurboTax will prepare and file Form 8919 for you with your return, but you will need to file SS-8 on your own (link below - though looks like you already took care of this part)
  • Next screen will have to report your wage information
  • Next screen will remind you that a Form SS-8 is required
  • Next screen will ask if these wages were reported on a 1099MISC
  • That will be the end of this section (program interview may go on to ask about other less common income types)

Form SS-8 Determination of Worker Status - link to form and instructions:

After following all of the steps it did not ask me if this income was already reported on 1099-MISC causing my taxes to sky rocket. What am i missing ?

Returning Member

My return has a federal review for sch c or sch f form 8919 only one link can be omitted what should I do?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies