turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 1099 with box 9 checked. Its not showing this on the website. I need some advice.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I have a 1099 with box 9 checked. Its not showing this on the website. I need some advice.

This box alerts the IRS that it should expect your gross income (before expenses) to be at least $5000. This income goes on Schedule C, which is the primary purpose of the Business tab of the online Self-Employed. You are responsible for reporting the correct amount that you took in, and you don’t need a 1099-MISC or any tax form to do so.

Box 9 is informational only and wouldn’t itself have any impact on your tax return. Per the IRS instructions for Form 1099-MISC*,

Box 9. If checked, $5,000 or more of sales of consumer products was paid to you on a buy-sell, deposit-commission, or other basis. A dollar amount does not have to be shown. Generally, report any income from your sale of these products on Schedule C (Form 1040).

If the 1099-MISC does not include any actual dollar figures in another box, that’s okay. Don’t bother typing in a 1099-MISC form inside Turbo Tax, since it contains no key values. Instead, enter your gross sales/ commissions as “General Income”.

Go directly to the Business tab of Turbo Tax Self-Employed (or Home and Business on the desktop). Click Start or Update next to Profit or Loss from Business (Schedule C) and account for all of your income and expenses there.  You will account for the venture as a business, whether or not you define it as such.

If the 1099-MISC form has a correct dollar amount in another box (such as box 7), enter it and ignore box 9.

FYI: Both 1099-MISC income and self-entered “General Income” hit line 1 of the Schedule C. As a result, this would be where the IRS looked to ensure that you reported your income. It would not be concerned with (or even know) whether a box was checked inside of TurboTax.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If it was your personal motorcycle that you rode and then sold at a loss, that is one thing. If you buy and sell and make a little money, that is another. 

Did you sell it for more or less than you paid? Maybe you exchanged it?

The IRS says in Tax Topic 409:

Losses from the sale of personal-use property, such as your home or car, aren't tax deductible.

Pub 544 on sales and dispositions of assets.

You may want to contact the issuer if none of the IRS publications apply and ask them to correct it and mark it blank instead.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies