Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

There was an error with validating your license code, please try again. Error code: 630

after a couple of hours i am unable to resolve this persistent issue. looking at other posts, turbotax does not care about this and/or is unable to resolve this or it's not a priority

i am using turbotax "premium" 2019

i have read and tried all of the posts on this page, multiple times

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/install-products/turbotax-2019-turbotax-...

and this page
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-keep-getting-error-code-630-every-time-i-try-to...

my ghost folder is TY19. it seems some others are getting TT19? TTxx? was this a patch? i have disabled vpn, firewalls, restarted the router, all the fun described? i don't have another machine. i have deleted windows 365 business as someone else advised doing

i will not be spending hours on a telephone with non existent technical support who can't resolve this. it seems that my options are to kick rocks & use a competitor and start all over?

i have to redo 2019, and 2020, and 2021 (for the 4th time) due to all of the crypto thefts. is this a persistent issue for 2020 also? i get through all the trouble of redoing 2019, and then i have to do this again for 2020? by the time i get that done, i have to use downloaded software as 2021 will be deprecated?

i paid over $100, and you are unable to provide support.

how does this company not provide support? letting me rant is support?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

There was an error with validating your license code, please try again. Error code: 630

@whatapieceofgarbagesoftwware   @tagteam   @VolvoGirl 

OK guys, TTX shutting down support for 2019 appears to be the reason it won't install.

_______

I purchased a new W11 laptop a couple days ago, and have been setting it up over the last few days.

Yesterday, I installed TTX 2020, 2021, and 2022 from my saved installation files without a problem .  I didn't try anything earlier since (Supposedly) I can't get states anymore....and it's not supposed to be supported either  (And I already have TTX, back to before 2016 installed & working on my main desktop).

________

So, Reading this post, I went back and got my full 2019 installation program from 2020  (Version from early August of 2020)

..1) Started the installation

......2)  Installation forced me to do an update....which appeared to go OK .

..........3)  Got the Code screen & Put in my license code

...............4)   Locked out at Error 630.

________

Tried renaming that hidden file folder TY19 to TYxx.

Retried installation again, and stopped with same eventual Error 630.

So it appears to me that TTX has stopped accepting any License codes for 2019 desktop software since they took it down off their prior year download purchase page a couple weeks ago.  Especially since my 2020, 2021, and 2022 installations all worked flawlessly yesterday.

....and that may well be the reason for the Error 630 for this particular situation.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

33 Replies

with spotty starlink connection, voip is not an option at the moment, but thanks for your help. someone reading the same exact thing that is on their website, which i have done multiple times, over the phone, isn't helpful in my situation i don't think anyhow

from reading other accounts, some users  have spent hours on the phone without a solution, and others are being asked to pay for the privilege of speaking on the phone (for the "free" plan perhaps)?. my level of support via email for my $109 plan is no-reply@, or reading posts from mostly disgruntled customers helping themselves. talking to a bot is futile

i did see there is an option to request a refund, with my exact problem. that tells me that they are keenly aware of it, and can't easily fix it and i'm sure this reduces online complaints. the cynic in me tells me this is the reason in can request a refund 10 months later, to placate me, and seeing that is frustrating knowing there may not be an easy solution. if it was an easy solution, they would tell me, politely of course, that they aren't able to issue a refund

i have a 2023 dell computer, all the updates, this shouldn't be an issue, but it is with a lot of people

See https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/i-keep-getting-error-code-630-every-time-i-try-to...

Have you tried the (proposed) solution that apparently worked for at least a few users? 

[see the post by "Zingo" on page 5]

i have tried every single solution on every single one of these threads. this is madness

i've wasted half a day on this today. i'm going to find another service provider who provides support. i had better had get my $109 refund and it aint about the money

I understand, but please note that other DIY providers really don't provide much support for their products and, in fact, do not even have a board like this one for which users can post questions. 

Good luck.

i wish i could unload my customer service onto my customers. this forum is hosted on intuit.com; to whatever the back dns stuff is pointing to a 3rd party domain or whatever regular folks don't see, it looks like you are providing customer service for intuit in a direct manner (even if it is only implied, it's what folks see. most people do not provide free customer service). as helpful as you are being, whatever your incentives or motivations for helping strangers on a corporate message board are, you aren't able to fix my issue, an issue that appears to have been persisting for more than 3 yrs. if they aren't able to fix an issue after 3 yrs i'll take my chances with a little guy, or i'll go back to using a cpa (who is probably using intuit)

i spent all day going through every single thread on this issue, and with more than average computer experience, don't see a solution. 3 yrs they should have some fix, you might not venture onto other forums complaining about this issue, but i did today

thanks

It might be moot by now.  They have stopped supporting 2019.  They only support and update the last 3 years and just put 2022 in the last years product pages and took off 2019.  

Don't know what all you've tried or what is in that long post on error 630.   Are you trying to reinstall or  just opening the program?  Did you try.......

Make sure your computer is the same way when you originally installed it. Like with no flash drives plugged in or plugged in if one was. Even a printer plugged in or not. It asked me again so I just closed the program and took out a flash drive that was plugged in and tried again. It worked.

@whatapieceofgarbagesoftwware wrote:

....i'll take my chances with a little guy, or i'll go back to using a cpa (who is probably using intuit)

Before you do either, you might want to check out LIVE or Full Service.

See https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online

There really aren't any "little guys" producing DIY tax software anymore and the options at the link above would be less expensive than using a CPA (who, as you stated, could very well be using an Intuit product).

@whatapieceofgarbagesoftwware   @tagteam   @VolvoGirl 

OK guys, TTX shutting down support for 2019 appears to be the reason it won't install.

_______

I purchased a new W11 laptop a couple days ago, and have been setting it up over the last few days.

Yesterday, I installed TTX 2020, 2021, and 2022 from my saved installation files without a problem .  I didn't try anything earlier since (Supposedly) I can't get states anymore....and it's not supposed to be supported either  (And I already have TTX, back to before 2016 installed & working on my main desktop).

________

So, Reading this post, I went back and got my full 2019 installation program from 2020  (Version from early August of 2020)

..1) Started the installation

......2)  Installation forced me to do an update....which appeared to go OK .

..........3)  Got the Code screen & Put in my license code

...............4)   Locked out at Error 630.

________

Tried renaming that hidden file folder TY19 to TYxx.

Retried installation again, and stopped with same eventual Error 630.

So it appears to me that TTX has stopped accepting any License codes for 2019 desktop software since they took it down off their prior year download purchase page a couple weeks ago.  Especially since my 2020, 2021, and 2022 installations all worked flawlessly yesterday.

....and that may well be the reason for the Error 630 for this particular situation.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

And yep...just looked, Amazon Services, still appears to be selling TTX2019 downloads.

They're probably unaware no one will be able to install it.

@SteamTrain @VolvoGirl 

What I find interesting, after a modicum of research, is that the 2019 tax year is the first year Intuit started using a license code for TurboTax desktop versions. 

I can't help but wonder if that is the reason the install is throwing this error; 2020 and up are still supported so no problem while 2018 and down are not supported but there's no license code with which to deal. 

???

While the post shows solved, I really don't see a solution. 

I understand most people are trying to install this for the first time.  I just received a notice saying I missed a 1099 on my 2019 return I completed in 2019 with my TurboTax 2019.  I had a few deductions I missed also and just wrote it off as live and learn until I found out I have to do a 1040x anyway, so I wanted to add the 1099 and the deductions at the same time. 

I just need to open my original return and amend it.  TTX support told me I would need to do it by hand.  Ok, but my original return is in TTX.  And before you ask, yes, I had a pdf, but in a different location that I no longer have access to along with my hard copy.  Therefore, I need my original return file to open in TTX.  I can wait for weeks for a copy from the IRS, but I did pay for a software to do my Schedule C calculations for me, so I didn't have to do them all by hand. 

TTX support said I purchased it and have the key so it should work.  I agree.  The problem seems to be Intuit disabled their validation server with all the 2019 keys on it.  Being from the tech industry and dealing with servers holding such validation keys, I can say it's not a hard fix.  You don't have to sell more keys or support the product to keep the server with the keys on it running.  Anyone who needs to go back and use their 2019 should be able to.  It's not a subscription.  It's a purchase.  If anyone knows how to explain this simple concept to Intuit, please do so.

It does not appear Intuit is interested in turning the server back on, but if anyone finds out they do, please post so we can all get back to work.

Yeah I doubt you can get 2019 installed.  They only support the last 3 years.  And you would need the data file ending in .tax2019 to open in the program.   Do you have that file?  

If you have the .tax2019 file, You could try the TaxPrinter service (not connected with Turbo Tax) to convert a .tax file to pdf at

http://www.taxprinter.com

They might be expensive and it is probably not safe to email tax returns back and forth.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies