turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My tax return was returned because I needed to sign it, what's the last day to send my tax return back?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My tax return was returned because I needed to sign it, what's the last day to send my tax return back?

If your tax return was sent back to you, it has not been filed. It's as if you never mailed it. If you did not have an extension, the deadline for filing your 2016 tax return was April 18, 2017, so you are now late. If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late, and you have until April 15, 2020 to file and get a refund for 2016. If you owe money, you should file as soon as possible because the penalties and interest that you will have to pay will keep increasing until you file.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If your tax return was sent back to you, it has not been filed. It's as if you never mailed it. If you did not have an extension, the deadline for filing your 2016 tax return was April 18, 2017, so you are now late. If you are getting a refund, there is no penalty for filing late, and you have until April 15, 2020 to file and get a refund for 2016. If you owe money, you should file as soon as possible because the penalties and interest that you will have to pay will keep increasing until you file.

"it's as if you never mailed it".
 I don't think that's true, since they only send back the first or second page for signature.

There really isn't a time limit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies