turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I AM NOT CLAIMING HEAD OF HOUSEHOULD

i AM CLAIMING SINGLE, BUT I WAS CLAIMING A NON DEPENDENT AS i DID LAST YEAR AND I  NEED TO KNOW WHAT  TO DO OR DID THE LAWS CHANGE THIS YEAR
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Who is the non-dependent?
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Sister

Why are you trying to claim your sister as a "non-dependent?" What are you trying to accomplish?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Why not ?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

There is one situation in which you can claim your sister as a non-dependent, and that is for Earned Income Credit.   If she was under 19 years old, or under 24 years old and a student, or any age and totally disabled, you may be able to claim your sister for Earned Income Credit.  But to claim Earned Income Credit as a non-dependent, your sister will have to have provided at least 1/2 of her own support.  If all of these conditions exist, you may input her information and state that she did provide at least half of her support.  And you can only do this if no one else is allowed to claim her as a dependent.

Otherwise, you should either claim her as a dependent if she qualifies or remove her information from your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies