turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ecotime95

My son got married in 2018 but his wife filed single now my son can't efile correctly with filing married but filing single

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

My son got married in 2018 but his wife filed single now my son can't efile correctly with filing married but filing single

There is no "Married but Single"  It is Married Filing Separately.

And neither of them can file Single if legally married.  He should ask his wife to amend her tax return to Married Filing Joint, and add him to it.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there,
Your son's wife filed her return incorrectly.
If they are married and living together, There are only two ways to file, Married filing Jointly (MFJ) or Married Filing Separately (MFS). You cannot file single if you are lawfully married.
She will have to amend her return to file either MFJ or MFS.

There are many advantages to filing a joint return. One is a larger standard deduction, and you potentially qualify for certain tax breaks that are not afforded to those who file MFS, but there are a few circumstances when MFS is best.

Either way, because they are married, neither could file single. She must amend and file a joint return (file together). If she wants to file Married Filing Separately, then your son must also file Married Filing Separately.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies