michaelseanearl

The total donations entered on "2017 Deductions & Credits" screen is much higher than the total on the "analysis" page. In a prior draft they matched. How to fix it?

I have drafted two versions of my tax return.  In the 1st draft, the total donations entered on "2017 Deductions & Credits" screen match the amount on the "analysis" page... In the 2nd draft the amount on the "analysis" screen is MUCH lower than what is entered on the "Deductions & Credits Page...Is this a software error?  If not, how do I fix it?

SteamTrain

I answered on your other post, but now you've provided more detail..

1)  Not your issue....when the summary page is higher the  charity list total:   a higher value on the summary may be due to payroll deduction donations (like, United Way, or Combined Federal Campaign/CFC) that are in box 14 of a W-2 form.  Those donations are not on your main Charity list where you enter your other donations.

___________________

But this ls more likely your issue

2)  A lower summary value: Often happens when you haven't entered all your income yet. Your Charity deductions are limited to 50% of your AGI....some can also be limited to 30% if donated to certain Fraternal Orgs.....the  stock/bond/Capital Gains Property donations can be somewhat AGI limited too (don't remember the details).

So in your tests, make sure you've entered all your potential income for the year first.  And if still lower on the analysis/summary page, switch to Forms Mode and look at the "Charity Limit 1" or similar page to see what is crimping your donations.  Also, look at lines 16-to-19 of your Schedule A.  19 may be lower than the total, and have a "limited" printed alongside. 

If it actually happens in your real 2017 tax return, the excess not allowed for 2017 will carryover to be used in 2018, but you have to attempt to use all your donations in 2017, you can't just choose to claim them in a later year than the year actually donated.

_________________

Example: 

I had a $70,000(+) AGI tax return with $8985 charity donations on both the charity list and the Summary/analysis page.

I reduced the W-2 income to $20,000, and the Charity list total remains the same $8985....but the summary/analysis page it dropped to $6955.  AGI was 21,900 (due to other income).  $6955 is less than 50%, but I had a mixture of items/cash/stock/capital gain property/mileage etc, where there are some messy calculations involved..

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*