Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The tool is asking me to upgrade to Turbo Tax Deluxe, because I have a Additional Medicare Tax Form (Form 8959), but I do not have that form. Why am I asked to do that?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The tool is asking me to upgrade to Turbo Tax Deluxe, because I have a Additional Medicare Tax Form (Form 8959), but I do not have that form. Why am I asked to do that?

This could be caused by the amount of Medicare taxes you entered on the W-2.  The Medicare taxes cannot be more than 1.45% of the Medicare wages.  If they are only a cent or two more the software will want you to complete a Form 8949.  So check the amounts entered and if it off by a cent or two remove that amount from the Medicare taxes withheld.

Edit your W-2

Click on Federal on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Wages & Income

On the W-2 shown, click on the Edit/Add button

It is hard to tell you why TurboTax is asking you to fill out form 8959 without knowing the details of your return. 

You can read the IRS instructions for the form here: Instructions for Form 8959 (2023) | Internal Revenue Service (irs.gov) and look at the "Who Must File" section to see if any of those conditions apply to you. Typically, this form is used to calculate additional Medicare tax you must pay because not enough was withheld by your employer or you had self employment income and not enough Medicare tax was paid by you (or your spouse). You also need to file this form if too much tax is withheld. If you report more than $200,000 of Medicare wages and tips on any single W2 (box 5), you may have to file form 8959. If you make more than $250,000 (married filing jointly, other situations have other limits) then you might have to pay additional Medicare tax and that means you have to file form 8959. If you report more than $160,200 on a single W2 and your or your spouse are reporting a second W2, it is possible that too much Medicare tax was withheld and you need to file form 8959 to get the balance refunded. If you don't think any of these conditions apply to you, recheck all of the numbers you entered from your W2's and anything you have reported regarding self-employment  income (Schedules E and SE, if anything) -- something in there is triggering TurboTax to want to file form 8595.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies