Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jim152

The program will not let me file because it loops to 1095-A info. I have 1095-B info. How do I get out of this loop and efile?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
BillM223
Expert Alumni

The program will not let me file because it loops to 1095-A info. I have 1095-B info. How do I get out of this loop and efile?

You may have accidentally indicated that you had health insurance from the Marketplace, and once TurboTax knows this, it will make sure you don't file your return without entering the 1095-A (this is for your own good).

Two ways to try to fix this:

First, do a Search (upper right) for 1095-a and click on the jump-to link (Mac users have to find 1095-A in the Topics List). NOTE: type in 1095-a and then hit enter - don't click on any of the suggested search items.

This should bring you to the screen where TurboTax asks if you had Marketplace insurance, answer NO and continue.

If that doesn't work, then do the following:

*** Desktop***

1. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the 1095-A. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen. Do the same with form 8962 if you see one.

*** Online ***

1. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

2. delete form(s) 1095-A and 8962 (if one)

Let us know if this does not work.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello, I am having the same problem, and neither of the two suggested fixes worked for me.

For the first approach, when I search "1095-a" and follow the jump-to link, it takes me to the screen "Before we ask about your Form 1095-A, we need to ask about some other information", and after that to the screen "Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan?" It does NOT give me the option to change my answer to whether I had Marketplace insurance.

For the second approach, I went to Tax Tools > Tools > Delete a form, but there was no 1095-A or 8962 for me to delete.

I am trapped in a state where I cannot file, and cannot get out of this loop where it insists that I have a 1095-A.

JillS56
Expert Alumni

On the screen "Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan?" there should be a Yes and a No option.   You need to click on the No if you did not have marketplace insurance and did not receive a 1095-A.    Then click Continue and on the next screen click Continue.  This will take you back to the Deductions and Credits screen.

Also, if the 1095-A or the 8962 are not included in your documents, then you do not have them in your return.   

Have you tried a review to see if the 1095-A question still comes up as an issue?  

No, that did not work, because when I select "No" to that question, it simply tells me that I must obtain a 1095-A before I can file my taxes, and nothing changes.

However, I did eventually find a way out with the assistance of Live Help. My Live Help expert tried the two suggested fixes with me, and when they did not work, she had me select "Yes" to ""Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan?" We then partially filled it in with some fake information for Form 1095-A (you only need to fill in one or two boxes, i.e. we put some numbers in just the January row). After that, we were able to go to Tools->Delete a form, and this time there was both a 1095-A and a 8962.  I deleted them both, and that got me out of the loop.

Hopefully this information helps some other people!

I have the same issue, I have answered no to 1095-A, there is no form to delete and yet Turbo Tax defaults to yes  when I go back to check that information.  The return has been rejected twice because I answer no but it is not saving that reply.

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

If you have e-filed your return and gotten an IRS rejection code for Form 8962, it could be because there is a partial entry in your return or because they have information from Healthcare.gov about Marketplace insurance and are looking for a 1095-A on your return to match their records. This might be because you or someone on your return began an application for insurance but did not actually enroll, or for some reason, Healthcare.gov erroneously has something connected to a social security number on your return. Forms 1095-B and 1095-C do not need to be filed and should be kept with your tax records. Please do not enter their information into TurboTax.

When our interview section Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A) for the Marketplace insurance reaches the screen, Did you receive Form 1095-A for your health insurance plan? It will default to "Yes." If you select "No" and Continueit will not generate any Form 8962 information into your return. If you come back, it will default to "Yes" again, but it remained the "No" you selected until you came back into the area. This is as it should be.

In TurboTax Online, to ensure there is not a partially completed form in TurboTax, please check here to delete the form from your return. This will delete both the form and the entries. Please check for any Form 1095-A and also Form 8962.

1. To Delete a Form go black menu bar on the left
  2. Click on Tax Tools
  3. Click on Tools
  4. Under Other helpful links, click on Delete a Form
  5. Scroll down and check for 1095-A or 8962  and if there is one, click on Delete
  6. Click on the blue Delete Selected Form 
  7. At the bottom, Continue
  8. Repeat until any Form 1095-A or From 8962 are deleted
  9. At the bottom, Continue with my Return

If you have already checked online at Healthcare.gov for Form 1095-A information and do not find what you need, you may wish to call them and see if there is any reason they would have told the IRS to expect a Form 1095-A. You may reach them at:

1-800-318-2596

(TTY: 1-855-889-4325)

Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except holidays)

Once you have resolved the Healthcare.gov information, the IRS should accept your e-file. In the past, they would accept the e-file but then route the returns with Marketplace questions for special processing that caused significant delays. This way the issue can be addressed, and your e-file should not be further delayed after it is accepted.

You can still file an extension today with an estimate of your taxes based on the information you have already entered. That will give you until October 15th, 2022 to file the full return.  If you will owe taxes, you will want to pay an estimate of that now, so you will only on interest on any extra amount. If you pay too much, it will be refunded to you.  Please click here for a TurboTax Help article with information about  TurboTax Easy Extension found at the bottom of the left menu bar.  TurboTax Easy Extension

BJD650

Does not work

BillM223
Expert Alumni

What does not work? There was a lot of verbiage above.

@BJD650

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies