turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I reported income from a class action settlement even though I did not get a 1099-MISC. I am getting an error on the form because it wants an EIN or Payer ID.

I followed the directions from previous postings to enter the income just as if I received a 1099-MISC and checked the appropriate box. However, the form 1099-MISC Worksheet is showing an error because it wants an EIN or Payer Identification Number.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ThomasM

I reported income from a class action settlement even though I did not get a 1099-MISC. I am getting an error on the form because it wants an EIN or Payer ID.

The problem with entering the income as if it were on a 1099 is that you won't be able to e-file without that EIN, which is why TurboTax is asking for it.  Without it, you will have to file on paper.

However, there may be a better way.  If you select Federal Taxes > Wages & Income, then scroll to the bottom of the page under Less Common Income and select Miscellaneous Income, and choose Other Reportable income from the bottom of the list, you'll be able to write in "Class Action Settlement" and enter the taxable amount.

TurboTax will then put that taxable amount on Line 21 of the 1040 -- Other Income -- which is where it would (and should) wind up if input as a 1099-MISC box 3 amount.

That will result in a correct reporting on the tax return, and it should allow you to e-file.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ThomasM

The problem with entering the income as if it were on a 1099 is that you won't be able to e-file without that EIN, which is why TurboTax is asking for it.  Without it, you will have to file on paper.

However, there may be a better way.  If you select Federal Taxes > Wages & Income, then scroll to the bottom of the page under Less Common Income and select Miscellaneous Income, and choose Other Reportable income from the bottom of the list, you'll be able to write in "Class Action Settlement" and enter the taxable amount.

TurboTax will then put that taxable amount on Line 21 of the 1040 -- Other Income -- which is where it would (and should) wind up if input as a 1099-MISC box 3 amount.

That will result in a correct reporting on the tax return, and it should allow you to e-file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies