Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

j-scalia

The name listed on my W-2 is the name I go by, but not my legal name. I filed without noticing this. Now my refund is held up. How do I fix this?

I have 4 different W-2's. 3 had my correct legal name. The 4th had my stepfather's last name which is not my legal name. I didn't notice and filed my return. I have not received any correspondence from the IRS yet about this, but I believe this is why my refund is being held up. How do I fix this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The name listed on my W-2 is the name I go by, but not my legal name. I filed without noticing this. Now my refund is held up. How do I fix this?

Doubtful.  As long as the SSN on each of them is yours, it shouldn't be an issue.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Having a nickname instead of your legal name will not hold up a refund. If there had been a problem with your name, the return would have rejected. The IRS uses the first four digits of your last name and your social as an identifier.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies