Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mobimich

The marginal tax rate displayed in the summary doesn't make sense. It shows 24%, but if I add $1000, the total tax increases by 38%, which matches tax tables.

Without going into personal details, let's say my taxable income is in the second tax bracket. In Canada, it's from $46K to $93K and in Quebec (I pay both) it's from $43K to $86K. For argument sake, let's says $50K. According to the tax tables, the rates are respectively 20.5% and 20% for 2018, for a total of 40.5%. Yet when I add $1000 of income, TurboTax adds around $380 or 38% to the total tax amount, therefore close to the amount predicted according to the tax table.

The definition of the marginal tax rate is the rate charged on the next dollar. Clearly, in my case, it's 40.5% or 38%. But TurboTax says it's 24% and the average is 22%. This is clearly wrong. I checked my 2017 return, and the same situation applies.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The marginal tax rate displayed in the summary doesn't make sense. It shows 24%, but if I add $1000, the total tax increases by 38%, which matches tax tables.

You are on the US site and you are talking about Canadian taxes.

Go to this link

in comment below by Volvogirl (I had wrong link)

View solution in original post

4 Replies

You are on the US site and you are talking about Canadian taxes.

Go to this link

in comment below by Volvogirl (I had wrong link)

mobimich

Okay thanks. Quick question, in the US version, if the marginal tax rate is display as 24% and I add $1000 income, won't the tax increase by $240?

Yes, unless the change impacts a credit or increase something being taxable like Social Security (which depends on how much other income is on the return)

This is the USA forum.  Do you need Canada?
Here is the Canada forum  https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/tax-help

Or Contact TurboTax Canada Support  https://support.turbotax.intuit.ca/contact/
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies