Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The date for availability of form 8815 within TT has changed yet again - preventing me from filing my taxes. Why is this not getting completed so that I can file?

The form availability date has changed 4 times!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

16 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

The date for availability of form 8815 within TT has changed yet again - preventing me from filing my taxes. Why is this not getting completed so that I can file?

We have to wait for the IRS to finalize the form and give us permission to update our software before we are allowed to have our customers e-fil .

• Form 8815, Exclusion of Interest from Series EE and I U.S. Savings Bonds. It's scheduled to be updated in our system some time on 3-4-2021.

If you cashed series EE or I U.S. savings bonds this year that were issued after 1989, you may be able to exclude from your income part or all of the interest on those bonds. Use Form 8815 to figure the amount of any interest you may exclude.

You can take the exclusion if all four of the following apply.

1. You cashed qualified U.S. savings bonds in 2020 that were issued after 1989.

2. You paid qualified higher education expenses in 2020 for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents.

3. Your filing status is any status except married filing separately.

4. Your modified adjusted gross income (AGI) is less than: $97,350 if single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er); $153,550 if married filing jointly.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

Odd, as I just called the IRS and the form is available. I really wanted to get my refund, so I may just have to go elsewhere to accomplish this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also interesting is when I go to a competitor tool and file my return - there is no issue with form 8815.

Sorry to have to drop TT - but it's looking like the product is no longer viable.

NCar

According to IRS Forms 8815 was posted on 1/16/2021. Why is Turbotax so far behind in updating! People want to file to get their refund. Maybe Turbotax should rebate their customers.........

Anonymous
Not applicable

I switched to H&R Block's product as I got tired of waiting as well - filled my taxes and got my refund in 5 days.

I also asked TT for a refund of the product cost as they can't seem to deliver a working tool.

NCar

Thanks Speedy, looks like I will be looking elsewhere as well. Turbotax cant update their product in almost 2 months.................come on. I will check out H&R Block's program.

Scott59
Returning Member

As mentioned by others, TT is the only place I can't file because of the 8815 nonsense. I just downloaded the form from the .gov site). I've been using TT for years, doing taxes for many family members. Over the years, my file dates have been later and later because of forms arriving later and later. This year, we're already [AT LEAST] into March before I can even start filings. And before anyone wonders about the complexity of my filing: I'm retired, so almost no income, and no itemizing. In fact, other than the 8815, I have no "special" forms to provide. I simply can't get my refund because TT has no form 8815. Seriously? We now have various ways to file online, including for free. Why am I even using TT any more? The "convenience" is gone.  My bad. Time to move on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

From looking over their forms availability, it appears it will be available on 3/4, but I just plain got tired of waiting as I am in the same boat as you relative to income. My taxes are relatively simple - just missing this stinking form.

What really burned me up was the response I was given initially which was 100% incorrect as this form has been in a finalized state for some time. I have never filed this late before. I won't be using this product ever again as it's now proven to be unreliable in terms of availability. I had a similar issue last year. enough is enough.

It's 3/4. Should we still expect form 8815 to be released sometime today?

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

No, form 8815 will be available on March 31, 2022. 

Please see this Help Article for information regarding IRS forms. The Help Article will display the availability of forms, upcoming release dates, and if the form is supported through E-file.

@KKane

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't believe this is still an issue for TT.

If you look, my question on this forms availability was last year.

I've since moved on to another product. Cost is less and forms are available!

bvbogar
Returning Member

I see that the date has changed to the 31st (from the 4th).   From this message board it appears H&R block has tax software that has form 8815 available.   I will also be moving to H&R Block tax software so that I can complete my return in a timely manner.   How does one get a refund from Turbo Tax for software that has problems being kept up to date?   If I would have known I couldn't file before 3/31, I would have never bought the software.   Very disappointed in the level of effort getting this problem resolved.  

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

We do not have access to your account in this public forum. Please feel free to contact Customer Support so they can assist you. If you inquire about a refund, you will want to use the keywords billing issues when you call so you get to the right person.

@bvbogar

I just checked; HR Block online does have 8815 available now. (And it's about 50% cheaper!)

It's really upsetting that TurboTax allowed me to do all the work (data input), and charge me for the software,  without telling me that 8815 won't be available until 3/31.

Let me know how successful you are in securing a refund. I may do it too.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies