Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was given a code to use to download my tax returns for free. I was given instructions on where to enter it, but it doesn't work. Are there updated instructions?

I asked for clarification on Facebook, and have not gotten an answer in the past 50+ hours, so I'm asking here.

The instructions I was given are:
"To properly use the code you will need to be in Deluxe or higher. Follow these steps:

1. If 2017 has been filed in the account click on "Add a State" on the "Tax Home" page.
2. In the left hand side bar choose "Upgrade".
3. Confirm the upgrade
4. Go to the "File" tab in the side bar.
5. on step 1 "Review your Order" click revisit/update.
6. Scroll all the way to the bottom and click on the blue link "I have a Service Code".
7. Enter (my code) exactly as it appears here. (You may be prompted to register your product if so do it.)
This will give you access to all prior year returns in the account. "
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was given a code to use to download my tax returns for free. I was given instructions on where to enter it, but it doesn't work. Are there updated instructions?

Try this method to pay for your Deluxe with the service code and see if it unlocks the prior returns.  Of course, the prior returns must be in the same account as your 2017 return.  So be sure you are at least seeing evidence of them in "Your Tax Returns & Documents."

• To open the return, go to "Your Tax Returns & Documents", expand that section and choose 2017.
  • Then choose "Add a State"  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open.)
  • Once the return is open and past the blue-green screen click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • In the Print Center, choose to "Print, save, view THIS YEAR'S return."   (yes, you say "this year's" since you are paying for the 2017 return to unlock the past ones.)  You won't actually have to print it.
  • On the next screen choose to "Pay now".
  • The next screen should be an Order Summary.
  • Scroll way down near the bottom of the Order Summary to a blue link that says "I have a Service Code."  (see screen image) 

View solution in original post

12 Replies

What tax returns are you trying to download?   The current 2017 return or prior returns?

You appear to be in Deluxe.  Was the service code they gave you for Deluxe?  Or was it for PLUS?

Which step above doesn't work?

I am trying to download my 2016 returns, as my computer crashed, and I lost them and need them for a mortgage application.  I was given a code, and I assume it was to pay for the deluxe version.  I'm not 100% sure what the code was for, but I've not paid any of my money for the deluxe version, and I had already filed my taxes, so it didn't take any out of them either.

The code is only to let me download it once, though.

What edition did you use to file your 2017 return?

I used the free version to file my 2015, 2016, and 2017 returns

The minimum upgrade to unlock returns is PLUS.  But you appear to be in Deluxe.   I don't know if the service code you got is good for Deluxe or not.    Did you find the link where you enter the code, and it didn't work?

I can't find where to enter the code.  I upgraded to deluxe, I click the file tab, and then the instructions no longer apply.  Rather than be on a 'Step one "Review your order"', I am taken to a page that tells me the status of my 2017 returns, which are both accepted already.

Let me give you different instructions below for an alternate way and see if if takes the service code.  I'll also provide a screen image.  Give me a couple minutes.

That would be awesome.  Thank you!

Try this method to pay for your Deluxe with the service code and see if it unlocks the prior returns.  Of course, the prior returns must be in the same account as your 2017 return.  So be sure you are at least seeing evidence of them in "Your Tax Returns & Documents."

• To open the return, go to "Your Tax Returns & Documents", expand that section and choose 2017.
  • Then choose "Add a State"  (you're not really adding one; that's just to get the return to open.)
  • Once the return is open and past the blue-green screen click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • In the Print Center, choose to "Print, save, view THIS YEAR'S return."   (yes, you say "this year's" since you are paying for the 2017 return to unlock the past ones.)  You won't actually have to print it.
  • On the next screen choose to "Pay now".
  • The next screen should be an Order Summary.
  • Scroll way down near the bottom of the Order Summary to a blue link that says "I have a Service Code."  (see screen image) 

Thank you so much! This worked! I've been waiting for their employees to answer for over 50 hours, and You've solved my problem in 20 minutes.  You're a lifesaver!

You're welcome!  That's great news.  Good luck.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies