turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owe child support, about 1700 dollars. The state took about 1200 then federal took about 1500. Thats more than what i owe? What could I do? Please help, thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I owe child support, about 1700 dollars. The state took about 1200 then federal took about 1500. Thats more than what i owe? What could I do? Please help, thank you.

The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice about this offset. If you already have the notice, the contact information for who the debt is owed to should be on that letter. 

You should contact the agency shown on the notice if you believe you don't owe the debt or if you're disputing the amount taken from your refund. 

If you don't have a notice, you can go here https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html and get the BFS's contact information and reach out to them for next steps. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The Bureau of the Fiscal Service will send you a notice about this offset. If you already have the notice, the contact information for who the debt is owed to should be on that letter. 

You should contact the agency shown on the notice if you believe you don't owe the debt or if you're disputing the amount taken from your refund. 

If you don't have a notice, you can go here https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203.html and get the BFS's contact information and reach out to them for next steps. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies