turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xchemla
Returning Member

The address in my W2 is incorrect. I am living in the UK and it ask me to put the state and postal code of the US.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The address in my W2 is incorrect. I am living in the UK and it ask me to put the state and postal code of the US.

For state, select "Foreign or U.S. Possession" from the drop-down list to change the address format.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
xchemla
Returning Member

in "My info"> "Your personal info" > " 2 - Tell us the state(s) you lived"
I have already set it to "Foreign", previously living in California.

In my contact, I put my UK address. 

Is there another place you are meaning? 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

On the W-2 screen, first, tell TurboTax that you are doing it manually.

Then, on the screen where you enter all the fields, look for a (hard to see) box and line that says something like "Foreign or US Possession" like Susan said above.

Be sure to check this box before you do anything else. This will change the boxes so that you can enter the UK address that I assume is on your W-2.

If you are talking about a UK address somewhere else, please let us know where.

P.S. put in the address on your W-2, whatever it is; don't change it to your current address.

xchemla
Returning Member

Well, when I try to put the W2 manullay, I have section for income, tax and employer information. Nowhere there is personal information. I have looked each field, the only "foreign" is for employer information.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"it ask me to put the state and postal code of the US."

Are you asking about the employer address or your address? 

The only address that the W-2 screen asks for in the Online product is the employer's address. Under the box that says "address type", do the pulldown menu and choose "Foreign address". 

If you are using the CD/Download software, it does ask for both addresses. In this case, you must check "Other" for the Location (just above the address box in both sections).

If you don't mean this, please tell us what you are talking about.

xchemla
Returning Member

I used the automatic W-2 generation, and it populated my address wrong.

I have deleted my w-2 form, and manually populated all the values in a new form, it passed the check of the final review now. I am not sure what happened here.

But now I get this error when I try to file my refund: "Oops, it looks like we're missing some of your personal information like State and Zip"

BillM223
Expert Alumni

Go back to your W-2, delete it, add it manually (again), and this time click on "foreign address" or "other" BEFORE you enter anything else. Sorry I can't be more precise, but the Online and download products do this differently.

And in the e-file process (is this not actually the federal review?), are you sure that it is pointing to the W-2 and not something else?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies