My son attended college in Alabama (home state) for 9 months but earned money in Georgia while working there for 3 months. Which state form should he file?

He earned about $6K.

If he had GA state tax withheld, then he needs to file a nonresident Georgia return. If not, he can file just for Alabama. Roll Tide!!!.....or War Eagle! I suppose 🙂

That's very helpful. Is it still a nonresident return if he lived in GA for those 3 months? BTW, it's the latter. 🙂

If he's a college student and still a dependent, I would file it as nonresident. Sounds like his full time home is Alabama. I just did an Auburn grad's taxes this morning.....in Virginia

Thanks!