turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do i electronically file a free extension for my dads return? he passed away july 2018...thanks

how do i electronically file a free extension for my dads return? he passed away july 2018...thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How do i electronically file a free extension for my dads return? he passed away july 2018...thanks

Sorry for your loss.

You can e-file a free extension at this site: https://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MinhT
Expert Alumni

How can I help you further?

his only income was social security...i dont know what amount was withheld, if any...so i cant answer the questions properly...what should i do?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

If his only income is social security, he would not be required to file a tax return and you do not need to file an extension. Hope this helps!

i thought i had to file a final time...he had a checking account with a few grand in it for pennies of interest...we jointly held a checking account...he owned no property..his ira didnt have an rmd during 2018...so if i dont file for him in 2018 am i going to be in trouble with the irs on his behalf?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

From the information you provided, he is not required to file a tax return.And you will not get into trouble with the IRS for not filing.

how about state of minnesota?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

Likewise.

thanks for your help and your time
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies