turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I have to claim al unemployment compensation if I contributed to the insurance?

I have had about $10 per month deducted from my paycheck for Pennsylvania unemployment compensation. This has been going on for years. I received unemployment payments from Pennsylvania in 2017. Since I contributed to the insurance do I need to claim all the compensation or can I deduct a portion since I paid a portion of the insurance premium?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

Do I have to claim al unemployment compensation if I contributed to the insurance?

No.

The amount you have paid out of your pay for unemployment over the years is considered a tax and not an insurance in the sense that it is not voluntary. 

Every employed person pays in and if they are subsequently unemployed, then they can collect from the fund if they meet the required number of hours worked in the previous quarters/years.

Your argument swayed me, but it won't sway the IRS.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JulieH1

No.

The amount you have paid out of your pay for unemployment over the years is considered a tax and not an insurance in the sense that it is not voluntary. 

Every employed person pays in and if they are subsequently unemployed, then they can collect from the fund if they meet the required number of hours worked in the previous quarters/years.

Your argument swayed me, but it won't sway the IRS.

Thanks for the answer - while not what I wanted to hear it is what I expected. Guess it's like social security -you pay into it for decades but can't take your contributions into account when you have you pay tax on your social security earnings.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies