turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I work as an independent contractor in a state other than my home state, where do i pay taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If I work as an independent contractor in a state other than my home state, where do i pay taxes?

You did not indicate which states you are talking about, but the general rule is that you are taxed where the work is done.

So if you did contract work while you were physically in another state, then you would likely be required to file a return in that state, but this depends on a wide number of conditions and state laws.

Thanks for responding! The work was done in Idaho, we are residents of Alaska living in Texas (military).

... also, income was $17,000.

"Nonresidents must file an Idaho income tax return if their gross income from Idaho sources is more than $2,500. "

Also "Gross Income means all income from all sources before applying expenses or deductions. This includes compensation for services, gross income of a business, interest, rents, dividends, and gains from the sale of property." (both are found at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1039.cfm">https://tax.idaho.gov/i-1039.cfm</a>)

So it looks like you need to file an Idaho state individual tax return.

Thank you!!!

P.S. Thank you for your service - another Texas resident...
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies