turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim my 25 year old as dependent if he is full time graduate student with no income?

He has no income and goes to school full time in another state. He has student loans. I have read that the age limit is 24 (which he turned in 2016) but Turbo Tax is saying he qualifies as a dependent. I'm confused, why would Turbo Tax allow the dependent status if he is too old and his birth date is listed in forms?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can i claim my 25 year old as dependent if he is full time graduate student with no income?

He can be your dependent if:

(1) He earned less than $4,050 in 2017.

(2) You provided more than half his support in 2017.

He is considered a qualifying relative in this case, as opposed to a qualifying child, which has different rules, one of which is the age rule to which you are referring.

See the following worksheet to determine if you provided more than half his support.  In particular, his reliance on loans may disqualify you.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies

He can be your dependent if:

(1) He earned less than $4,050 in 2017.

(2) You provided more than half his support in 2017.

He is considered a qualifying relative in this case, as opposed to a qualifying child, which has different rules, one of which is the age rule to which you are referring.

See the following worksheet to determine if you provided more than half his support.  In particular, his reliance on loans may disqualify you.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/vita/content/globalmedia/teacher/worksheet_for_determining_support_4012.pdf

Thank you. What if he uses his student loans to pay for a good deal of his living expenses? We also made some payments to his loans this year but know we can't deduct the interest we paid.

To clarify: On the worksheet it asks to list funds belonging to the person I supported including amounts borrowed during the year.  Is it safe to assume that this includes the student loans?

If he uses his student loans to provide more than half his support, he is not your dependent. The student loans do count as loans for the purposes of the worksheet.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies