turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

yoonyr

How can we do a married filing joint Kansas return as "non-residents" when my spouse has been in KS for the entire year?

My wife is living and working in Kansas, and I am living and working in Michigan. We filed a married filing joint federal return. As to the state return, Kansas requires us to file a married filing joint Kansas return and file as "non-residents" of Kansas. In this case, do we have to change my wife's resident state to Michigan (in the section of personal info) even though she has never been in Michigan?  In that case, do we have to report all of her income from KS as the income from MI? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

How can we do a married filing joint Kansas return as "non-residents" when my spouse has been in KS for the entire year?

It depends.  In reality, these two states take the same situation, and treat them virtually the same way, but it doesn't seem so when you read the state explanation of each.  But, here is how you file:

Kansas.  As you state, Kansas requires you to file a joint return, using the nonresident status (even though your wife is a resident).  They do this so that only your wife's income is actually taxed in Kansas.  Your income is excluded in Kansas.  A nonresident of Kansas does not pay income tax in Kansas if their income was not earned there.  By treating her as a nonresident, her income earned in Kansas is taxed, but yours is not.

Michigan.  Michigan also requires you to file as Married Filing Joint.  However,  Michigan requires you to file a resident return, although they also require that the nonresident form be filled out (TurboTax will do this automatically) for the spouse that does not live in Michigan.  While that income is factored in to determine the total Michigan tax, a credit is given against this nonresident income so that it is not taxed in Michigan.

Yes, that can sound a bit confusing, but the end result is the same:  Kansas in essence only taxes your wife's income, and Michigan only taxes your income.  Neither need you to file the form or schedule to have credits for taxes paid to other states because neither is taxing the other state's income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  In reality, these two states take the same situation, and treat them virtually the same way, but it doesn't seem so when you read the state explanation of each.  But, here is how you file:

Kansas.  As you state, Kansas requires you to file a joint return, using the nonresident status (even though your wife is a resident).  They do this so that only your wife's income is actually taxed in Kansas.  Your income is excluded in Kansas.  A nonresident of Kansas does not pay income tax in Kansas if their income was not earned there.  By treating her as a nonresident, her income earned in Kansas is taxed, but yours is not.

Michigan.  Michigan also requires you to file as Married Filing Joint.  However,  Michigan requires you to file a resident return, although they also require that the nonresident form be filled out (TurboTax will do this automatically) for the spouse that does not live in Michigan.  While that income is factored in to determine the total Michigan tax, a credit is given against this nonresident income so that it is not taxed in Michigan.

Yes, that can sound a bit confusing, but the end result is the same:  Kansas in essence only taxes your wife's income, and Michigan only taxes your income.  Neither need you to file the form or schedule to have credits for taxes paid to other states because neither is taxing the other state's income.

yoonyr

Thank you so much for your reply. May I ask additional question? Then, In this case, do we have to change my wife's resident state to Michigan (in the section of personal info) although she has never been in the Michigan?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

No.  You will keep your residency as Michigan, and hers as Kansas.  TurboTax will straighten out the rest.
yoonyr

Then, I understand that, in filing MI state tax, what we have to do is just report the income and earning of my wife as those from KS. Then, TurboTax will do the rest. Am I right?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It should, yes.  If you have marked her residency as Kansas and the income as Kansas, the program should take care of the rest.  If you suspect it didn't, then feel free to comment further.
yoonyr

Additional question: In the section of Michigan Capital Gains and Losses, it says that "On your federal return, you reported a net capital gain of $a...Were any of your capital gains and losses from Michigan property?" Here, if all of $a is from my wife's investment, is it right to report $0 as capital gains and losses from MI property, even when we file a joint resident return?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

Correct, if the capital gains were not generated in Michigan.  If they are your wife's stock sales, for example, this is not Michigan income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies