Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My federal efile was rejected because I think we didn't mark on my 19 year old college son's efile that someone else could claim him as a dependent, not sure how to fix?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My federal efile was rejected because I think we didn't mark on my 19 year old college son's efile that someone else could claim him as a dependent, not sure how to fix?

solved in comments

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you failed to mark the child's return that someone else can claim them, and your return is now being rejected when you try to claim the child, there is no quick easy fix.  You will have to print, sign and mail your return in for processing.

You will also need to Amend the child's return so that they are not claiming themselves.
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed"...>

Thank you Lisa!  One clarifier, does it matter if I mail in my return before I can amend my son's return?  I appreciate your help.

Not really, the amended returns get sorted and processed differently than regular returns.   The amended return forms wont be available until early march sometime.  You may want to attach a printout of the rejection message and send along with your return  so they understand what happened.

Thank you again, I appreciate your help with this!

Youre welcome!

solved in comments

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies