bigmouthbas5

Tennessee does not require state tax return, but Turbo Tax is charging me for it anyways.

JohnR1

Tennessee does not impose a state income tax, other than the so-called "Hall Tax" on interest and dividend income.

Generally, if you are a person whose legal domicile is Tennessee, you only need to file the Tennessee Hall Tax return if your taxable interest and dividend income exceeded $1,250 ($2,500 if married filing jointly) during the tax year.

If you don't need to file a Tennessee state tax return, and TurboTax has generated one for you,  you can delete a state return in TurboTax Online, as long as you haven't paid for it yet (or registered in a free version).

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ, "How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?":

For more information about Tennessee's Hall Tax, please see the following Hall Income Tax Return guide from the Tennessee Department of Revenue:

https://www.tn.gov/assets/entities/revenue/attachments/indincguide.pdf 

JohnR1

lcwrit

The Franchise and Excise tax form is required for businesses, It's a long tedious form.

digmas1

IS there a form for Franchise and Excise Tax for Tennessee? This would be very helpful to include.

@digmas1 wrote:

Form TN FAE 170 (F), Franchise, Excise Tax Return for Tennessee is only included in the State Business Forms program when using the TurboTax Business Edition.  The Business Edition can only be installed on a Windows based personal computer, not on a Mac or online.  The Business Edition cannot complete a personal tax return, Form 1040.

TurboTax Business Edition - https://turbotax.intuit.com/small-business-taxes/

stapes1956

When will the Tennessee tax forms be available to file ordinary dividends and taxable interest income?  I think it's referred to as a Hall Tax return?

AmyC

Yes, that is the name. Hall Income Tax Manual - March 2021 shows on page 7 repealed   after Jan 1, 2021. So, no TN individual income tax now on dividends and interest.

@stapes1956