Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Technical Help - data from federal form can't be changed, too late to delete state return?

How do I delete a state return and start over after paying for the state?  I paid for the federal and two state returns.  There was an error that I fixed on the federal return during the final checks before e-filing.  The state return told me about the error in the final checks before e-filing. That error, which made its way into "IT-360.1 TP" of New York's filing, cannot be undone as far as I can tell.  I clicked "start over" for New York, but I cannot find that form or how to edit its amounts anywhere.  As far as I can tell, TurboTax documentation suggests that some of the data can only be autofilled from the federal form, and that if it can be changed elsewhere, the user must delete the state and start over.  So, I'm stuck. 

Any advice on how to proceed?  TurboTax won't allow me to e-file and suggests that I file by mail.  On the PDF to file by mail, it specifically directs that "New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically."  I'm in a position now wondering if I need to pay a turbotax competitor to finish my NY return.

Thanks for any help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Technical Help - data from federal form can't be changed, too late to delete state return?

Form IT-360.1 TP is taxpayer's change of New York City or Yonkers change of resident status. Were you a part-year NYC or Yonkers resident?

In New York, go to Your City Residency Information. Make sure the information is correct.

You can also try deleting a form. This will clear the form, but if the information is being pulled from somewhere else, you may get the same result.

1. Click Tax Tools in the left column
  2. Click Tools
  3. Select Delete a Form in Tools Center
  4. Scroll down to IT-360.1 TP. Delete.
  5. Click Continue With My Return in the lower right
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, @ErnieS0! I was a part-year NYC resident.  I was able to change line 18 in the "Your City Residency Information."  However, I couldn't edit line 18a, which is where the problem was.  Your suggestion to delete the form and pointing me to the city residency details allowed me to delete and re-input the correct information (line 18a should have been 0, so my inability to access it was ok).  

Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies