Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

neelyabq

Tax Year Prior to 2020: deceased spouse and signature pin

We should then get a refund of the amount charged to efile state taxes.

neelyabq

What is the customer service number?

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

@neelyabq Here's how you can reach live representatives for assistance: What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@neelyabq wrote:

We should then get a refund of the amount charged to efile state taxes.

If you are using Turbotax online, there is no extra charge for e-filing and no refund would be due; the program prepared a perfectly good return you can mail in.

If you are using the desktop version, there is an extra charge to e-file the state return in most states, we can't provide a refund so you need to call customer support.  See the link posted by the other expert.  However, don't use the keyword "refund" because that will send you to the automatic tax refund information.  Use the keyword "billing problem". 

My return was rejected because the primary pin number did not match last year.  My husband was primary last year and died this year. So I assume that the primary number used on the return was mine.  What do I do?

I am sorry for your loss.

When your spouse dies, the IRS provides a short-term additional tax break in the form of a special filing statusqualifying widow(er) with qualifying child. Here are the details about using this filing status after the loss of a spouse.

The First Year

The year that your spouse dies, you can still file a joint return if you didn’t remarry and the executor approves the joint return. But if either spouse was a nonresident alien at any time during the year, the surviving spouse can’t file a joint return.

If you do file jointly, include all of your income and deductions for the full year, but only your spouse’s income and deductions until the date of death. If the deceased spouse owes any taxes that the estate can’t pay, you as the surviving spouse may be liable for the amounts owed.

The Next Two Years

For two tax years after the year your spouse died, you can file as a qualifying widow or widower. This filing status gives you a higher standard deduction and lower tax rate than filing as a single person. You must meet these requirements:

• You haven’t remarried.
  • You must have a dependent child (not a foster child) who lived with you all year, and you must have paid over half the maintenance costs of your home.
  • You must have been able to file jointly in the year of your spouse’s death, even if you didn’t.

​​​​​​​Otherwise you will file as single next year.

You can get around the questions about the previous year's pin number by using your deceased husband's pin number if you know it.  You can also just answer the question about filing taxes last year that you did not file and it will avoid the pin number question. ​​​​​​​

@7241 wrote:

My return was rejected because the primary pin number did not match last year.  My husband was primary last year and died this year. So I assume that the primary number used on the return was mine.  What do I do?

There are two situations that may cause your tax return to be rejected when filing jointly with your spouse who died during the year.

One, the IRS may block the SSN of the deceased spouse to prevent fraud, in which case you have to print your return and mail it in.

Two, many people with this problem have complained it is a bug in Turbotax.  I don't know one way or the other.  Some people have reported that if they create a new account (new user name and password, can link to the same e-mail address) with the surviving spouse as the "first" or top name, and the deceased spouse second, and prepare the return all over again, that the IRS will then accept it.  (You can't just change the order of names in the original file, that won't work for various hidden technical reasons.)

Good luck. 

Kat
Level 15
Level 15

@7241   Please accept my condolences on the loss of your spouse.

When you prepared your return, you would have still been using the Married Filing Jointly status (assuming that's how you've filed in the past).  Did you make any changes to your return after last year's information was transferred into the current tax year (2020)?

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***
jbfree
Returning Member

When I click on the federal return it just gives me the federal summary - how do I get to the other tax situation option to enter a pin. for my wife - can you post a screen shot.  I must be clicking on the wrong item

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please click here to see the steps provided by VictorW9 in this Community thread regarding the IP Pin and how to include it. I also included this information in your other post as well. 

@jbfree

jbfree
Returning Member

I tried - when I click on the federal button all I get is the federal tax summary - is there another federal button to click on - perhaps you can include a screen shot

@jbfree wrote:

I tried - when I click on the federal button all I get is the federal tax summary - is there another federal button to click on - perhaps you can include a screen shot

You are replying to a very old discussion with many other participants and we don't know what you want.

If you need to enter a 5 digit e-filing pin, you will do that when you are actually ready to pay and transmit your return.  If you need to enter a 6-digit identity protection pin, you will find that on the tab for "other tax situations."

jbfree
Returning Member

I am trying to enter the five digit e-file pin - I already went through the pay actions.  It let me enter a pin for myself but the software did not give me the option to enter a code for her.  She does have some income in our joint tax return.  Can you  tell me how to enter a e-file pin for her?  Many thanks.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Federal is on the left side - other tax situations (the next step) is across the top.   Please try this if you are using TurboTax Online. 

If you are still unable to see that here, please give us a call so we can walk you through this specific situation and view your details.  To do this, please use the Help Article here.  This ensures you will get to the correct department as quickly as possible.  

@jbfree

Request refund of 47.03 order # TTDCRTA159038402  e-file unallowed due to passing of spouse Jan 5 2022.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies