kkirk0692

Tax Offset

Can they take my Federal refund if my husband owes student loans? We filed jointly but he has no income so the whole refund is based off my income.

Tax Offset

Yes the IRS can seize your tax refund for the debts of your spouse when filing a joint tax return.  

If you have already filed your tax return, you would want to complete a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation so that you portion of the tax refund is not seized for your spouse's debts.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for Form 8379 - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-file-form-8379-injured-spouse-allocation/0...

doobzie2206

Tax Offset

I just spoke with my loan servicer and they used the tax offset to take my entire federal tax return. I learned that because of the COVID-19 pandemic ALL TAX OFFSETS WILL BE RETURNED TO YOU! No time line but was advised to call back if not received by 30 days from the direct deposit refund date. It goes to them and they advise to allow 10 days to post to your account. Once applied to your account it will then be issued back to you. Make sure to call your loan servicer who initiated the offset to update your address and phone number. I entered into a repayment plan over the phone and in 9 months it will be removed as default and display in good standing on my credit report. Worth the 20 minutes on the phone. And it's Saturday! Good luck and take care of your mental as well as your physical health 🤗

KrisD15

Tax Offset

The only thing I have heard of is that the bill could allow payments due for student loans be suspended interest free for three months. 

Individuals may call 800-304-3107 with questions about a delinquent debt.

Below is a link for more information:

Tax offsets