Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tax implications when i use bitcoin to buy something

I have purchased bitcoin by buying a set dollar amount every week (dollar cost average). When I use bitcoin to buy something, without transferring back to dollars, how do I :

Need to declare on taxes?

How do I know what the "original" cost is when I purchased at different prices of bitcoin on different days?

Is it like stocks where when I sell a stock I need to pay tax on any gains?

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RyanH5
Employee Tax Expert

Hi ursa321. Thank you for joining us today.

Anytime that an individual converts a digital currency into any other asset or cash, this becomes a taxable event. In your case, this happens whenever you use Bitcoin to purchase something. This is taxed as a capital transaction, much like the selling of stocks, and you are only taxed on the gains (or losses).

To determine your cost basis (purchase price), the tax code is fairly flexible. The most common method is FIFO (First in First Out). This means that you keep track of each amount that was purchased and use the oldest purchases first in determining the cost basis. You are also allowed to use Last In First Out, average cost, or any other method you choose, as long as it remains consistent.

There are several online trackers such as Coinbase that automate this process.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for that answer. So, for example, when I buy something using bitcoin, I can use FIFO to calculate taxes owed. I would use the price of bitcoin from the first time I purchased it ( cost basis) and compare that to the price of bitcoin when I have spent some of it to buy something to see if there is a gain or loss. Also take into account the time difference to determine the capital gains rate to use. 

Is this basically what I need to do?

Thanks 

RyanH5
Employee Tax Expert

Yes.
If the holding period is one year or less, then it will be a short term capital gain (or loss). If the holding period is longer than one year, then it will be a long term gain (or loss).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies