turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Extension - Texas

Hello, 

Due to the winter storms, the IRS extended 2020 tax filings / payments for Texas residents till June 15th. However, I am needing to file a tax extension till October. Whenever I try to do that via Turbotax, it says taxes were due in May and it is too late to file an extension.

Does the June date for Texas residents also include filing for extensions? If so, would I just need to file the extension via mail? 

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Tax Extension - Texas

If you are in TX you have an automatic extension to June 15, 2021.   But if you wanted an extension until October you should have requested it by May 17.   It is now too late to request an extension to October.  If you are getting a refund there is no penalty for filing late.   If you owe tax due you need to pay by the June deadline.   An extension would not give you extra time to pay--it would only have given you extra time to prepare the tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
b_c

Tax Extension - Texas

Are you sure? That is not what another customer service agent told me. I am struggling to find out if I could file an extension since my wife didn't get ITIN yet. I know Texas tax deadline is June 15. 

Tried calling IRS, wasted days without getting a person.

Turbotax wanted another 80$ to talk to somebody.

Just called TaxAct and they said I can do paper filing for form 4868 until June 15. But I am not able to get a second opinion to get a confirmation.

Tax Extension - Texas

The only way to get an extension now is to report yourself "out of the country"  ( line 8),

In that case you can file Form 4868 on paper before Jun 15.

If you are just a plain ole Texan in Texas you can't request an extension.

Tax Extension - Texas

The Instructions for 4868 and IRS Pub 54 are not consistent.

Since your particular due date is now Jun 15, You can try, as per instructions on form 4868.

IRS will contact you if your request is denied.

Tax Extension - Texas

@b_c wrote:

Just called TaxAct and they said I can do paper filing for form 4868 until June 15. But I am not able to get a second opinion to get a confirmation.

That is correct.   You have until June 15 to mail file a 4868.  You should mail certified with tracking as proof that you mailed before the due date.

NOTE: If you are receiving a refund then there is no penalty for filing late so an extension is not needed - you just do not get the refund until you file.

Also note that not all of Texas has June 15 filing - only those parts of Texas that were part of the declared storm areas are.    That is determined by your zip code by the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies