turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Returning Member


I claimed myself on my taxes for 2019, and did my taxes before my parents filed. My parents claimed me when they did their taxes,3+ months after I did mine. Will I get a stimulus check or will they get my check?

8 Replies
Expert Alumni


If you were eligible to be claimed as a dependent on their return, then you must amend your return to indicate that you could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return. If you were eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return, then you will not receive the stimulus. 


Below are the criteria to be claimed as a dependent:


There are two types of dependents, each subject to different rules:

  • A qualifying child
  • A qualifying relative

For both types of dependents, you’ll need to answer the following questions to determine if you can claim them.


Dependent taxpayer test: The taxpayer, or spouse of the taxpayer if filing jointly, cannot be eligible to be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s tax return.


Married Filing Jointly test: If you file a joint return with your spouse, you cannot be treated as a dependent. (This rule does not apply if the joint return was filed only as a claim for refund and no tax liability would exist for either spouse if they had filed separate returns).


Citizen or resident test: The person claimed as a dependent must be either a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, U.S. resident alien, or a resident of Canada or Mexico. An adopted child that lived with the taxpayer all year passes this test if the taxpayer is a U.S. citizen or U.S. national.


Qualifying Child

In addition to the above, you must be able to answer "yes" to all of the following questions to claim an exemption for your child.


Relationship test: The child must be the taxpayer’s son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, stepbrother, stepsister, half brother, half sister, or a descendant of any of these, such as the taxpayer’s grandchild, niece, or nephew.


Residency test: The child must have lived with the taxpayer for more than half of 2019.

  • Temporary absences (e.g., school, vacation, business, medical care, military services, or detention in a juvenile facility) are considered as time living with the taxpayer.
  • Exceptions apply under the rules for children of divorced or separated parents. See IRS Publication 501 for details.

 Age test: The child must be

• Under age 19 at the end of the tax year and younger than the taxpayer (or spouse), or

• Under age 24 at the end of 2019, a full-time student for any part of five calendar months during the tax year, and younger than the taxpayer (or spouse), or

 Permanently and totally disabled at any age


Support Test: The child cannot have provided more than 1/2 of his/her own support during the tax year. Welfare, TANF, and scholarships received by the child are not considered support.


Qualifying Relative


Relationship or Member of Household Test: To be considered a qualifying relative, a person must be:

  • A son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, or a descendant of any of these
  • A brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, or a descendant of any of these
  • A father, mother, or an ancestor or sibling of them (does not include foster parents)
  • A stepbrother, stepsister, stepfather, stepmother, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, mother-in-law, father-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, or
  • Any other person (other than the spouse) who lived with the taxpayer all year as a member of the taxpayer's household as long at the relationship did not violate local law. Exceptions: Temporary absences for special circumstances such as school, vacation, business, medical care, military service, or incarceration count as time lived in the home. Also, the taxpayer's mother or father does not have to live with the taxpayer as long as the taxpayer is able to claim the parent as a dependent and paid more than half the cost of keeping up the parent's main home (including nursing homes) for the entire year.

Not a Qualifying Child Test: The relative cannot be a qualifying child of any other taxpayer for the year.


Gross Income Test: The relative's gross income must be less than $4200 for the year. Gross income is all income that is not tax-exempt. Examples of gross income include taxable Social Security benefits, taxable unemployment compensation, and certain scholarships and fellowships (i.e., monies used to pay higher education expenses other than tuition, fees, supplies, books, and course-required equipment).

Support Test: The taxpayer must have provided over 1/2 of the relative's support during the year. This test does not apply to persons who qualify as dependents under the children of divorced or separated parents rule and multiple support agreements.


If you find that you indeed qualify as a dependent after reading the above information, you will want to amend your return. Here's how:

  1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
    • If you only see the option to amend 2018 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2019 return. Instead, just select Pick up where you left off, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return, as amendments can't be e-filed.

Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.  Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.


Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member


Hello I have a very important question on my 2018 taxes I put both of my parents as dependents, on 2019 I forgot to remove them, and now they are not getting the stimulus check because of my mistake, they both receive SSI and are not dependent of me because they pay everything by themselves. What can I do to correct my mistake? Thank you 

Expert Alumni


First of all if they truly are not your dependents then you need to file an amendment to remove them and of course your tax liability will increase.  Be advised the IRS is not processing any paper returns at this time. If you amend that will be mailed in and thus delayed processing.  Once that amendment is processed your parents could file an informational return to receive a stimulus payment this year.


If however they "could" be your dependents and you are just looking to get them a stimulus payment then let your 2019 return stand.  On your 2020 return do not claim them.  They will file informational returns for tax year 2020 and receive their stimulus payment then.  



**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member


Thank you very much for responding back. 


I filed with TurboTax and I got the turbo card to get my money back on but I didn't get my money they kept it because they said I owed will I still get to stimulus on that card or is there something else I have to do can somebody please tell

Expert Alumni


  • I have access to my Turbo Visa Debit Card: If you have access to your Turbo Visa Debit Card, there is nothing more you need to do. You will be able to immediately use the stimulus funds upon deposit on 4/15. You can sign in to your account to check your balance here: https://secure.turbodebitcard.intuit.com/login 


  • I no longer have access to my Turbo Visa Debit Card: If you no longer have access to your Turbo Visa Debit Card, don’t worry. If you have registered your card and know your login credentials, you can request a replacement card by signing in to your Turbo Visa Debit Card account (https://secure.turbodebitcard.intuit.com/account/report-lost-or-stolen). If you don’t know your account login information, call 888-285-4169 for assistance. You will not be charged for a replacement card or check; standard fees will be waived or refunded to you.


Due to unprecedented traffic you may experience some delays on the site or phone line. We know everyone is anxious to get their stimulus money and we appreciate your patience.   


For additional questions, including how to receive a check, please go to the Turbo Visa Debit Card site: https://turbotax.intuit.com/stimulus-check/turbo-card/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"


I cannot look on my card to see if I have anything on it because it keeps telling me that there's an error try again later I can't call the number because that's blocking me also I don't know if I got any money on it or not the last time I seen it I had $7 on there so I can somebody help me out here

Expert Alumni


You can check the status of your payment through the IRS Get my Payment site.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies