Solved: Stimulus Credit for Mixed Status Couple

CWiley

Stimulus Credit for Mixed Status Couple

My husband and I file married jointly. I am a US citizen and he is a non-resident with a SS for work purposes only. 

We did not get the first stimulus because of our mixed status but I qualify for the credit after the rules changed. He does not qualify and I don’t see any options to select his immigration status.  

When I select the option saying we did not get a stimulus, it defaults to $2400 for both of us. The only way to correct is to say we received $1200 already which is technically false. The same issue applies for the $600 which i did receive and there should be no other action but it tries to say we get another $600 when putting into turbo tax. 

If I say we already got 1200, does that actually get filed on the taxes? That seems to be the only way to get the correct amount but I don’t want to lie and get audited if that is actually reported.

Stimulus Credit for Mixed Status Couple

The amount you enter for the stimulus received is not entered on the federal tax return.  The only amount entered on the federal tax return as a tax credit is the amount that you should have received but did not.

Stimulus Credit for Mixed Status Couple

CWiley

Stimulus Credit for Mixed Status Couple

@DoninGA  Thank you very much for the quick reply! That’s a relief. I wish it was clarified a little better on the service. I talked with a specialist on the phone and they weren’t sure either.