turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I get a state refund, but owe federal. How do I make arrangements so I can receive my state return to pay my the amount owed to the feds?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I get a state refund, but owe federal. How do I make arrangements so I can receive my state return to pay my the amount owed to the feds?

Say you will mail a check to the IRS .   It is not due until April 15.  It will print out a 1040V voucher.  Then hopefully you get the state refund before then.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Say you will mail a check to the IRS .   It is not due until April 15.  It will print out a 1040V voucher.  Then hopefully you get the state refund before then.

piyush2

State and federal returns are handled by different government agencies. So, if you are getting refund from fed then you will receive check from fed separately. And if you owe tax to state the you will have to write check to state separately. I don't think you can make arrangement in such a way that you can pay state from federal refund amount without writing check separately.

if you file now (mid-March), your refund just might arrive before April 15th.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies