turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Started my return and went through the entire process..how do I start over my file for 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Started my return and went through the entire process..how do I start over my file for 2017?

Wow, I hope you didn't' do that recently "Online" for 2016...the 2016 software shut down last November.

But maybe you are just asking about starting 2017 over..
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

No, I did it for 2017 through the app..now I can't find a way to restart it amd start from scratch..
MichaelDC

Need to start over in the TurboTax Mobile App? You can't do that in the app, but you can in the online version.

Thx so much..ill log on when I get home.

@TurboTaxMichaelDC provided the process.

But don't know if it can be done from the APP...or whether you have to log in to Online from a computer...thru the browser login to do it.  (the "App" is just a second  front end  for the Browser-based Online software)

Even then, if you get to a certain stage....you may not be able to clear, and just need edit everything you mis-entered.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
MichaelDC

In TurboTax Online, you can erase your return and start from scratch as long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered.

1. If you haven't already done so, sign in at TurboTax.com and select the blue Take me to my return button.
  2. On the welcome back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then select Clear & Start Over (click or tap the 3 lines in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

After your entries have been cleared out, we'll prompt you to select a TurboTax product so you can start over from the very beginning.

If you're signed in under last year's login, we'll automatically transfer last year's info over if you select the PLUS upgrade, Deluxe, Premier, or Self-Employed. Federal Free Edition (without PLUS) does not include the year-over-year transfer feature.

If you can't Clear & Start Over after you've registered, and it's convenient, consider opening a new account under a new username. Up to 5 accounts can be tied to the same email address.

Here’s how:

1. Sign out of TurboTax Online.
  2. Select the TurboTax Online product you want to use for the second return and proceed.
  3. On the Create your account screen, set up a new login for the second return.
  • You can reuse your email address if you want to receive e-file notifications for the second return.
  • Up to 5 accounts can be tied to the same email address.
  • After you've created the new account, you can start working on the second return.
  • Otherwise, try to post another question about your problem and someone should be able to help you fix it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
    Manage cookies