No, the SSA-1099 is not the same as a W-2 and they are entered in different places in TurboTax.
To enter your SSA-1099:
- Click My Account (Top right of your screen).
- Select Tools.
- In the pop up window, select Topic Search.
- Select Yes, let's work on Social Security benefits and click Continue.
- Check the first box, Form SSA-1099.
- Enter the amounts for yourself and your jointly-filing spouse, if they received an SSA-1099 also.
- SSA-1099s for children and other dependents are not reported on your return. They should report it on their own return, but only if they're required to file a return for some other reason (this is uncommon).
- Click Continue.
TurboTax will automatically calculate what portion, if any, of your Social Security benefits are taxable.
To enter your w-2:
- Click Federal Taxes
- Then click Wages & Income
- Select "I'll choose what I work on"
- Scroll down to Wages & Salaries section and click Start.
- Continue through the interview to enter your W-2 information.