Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spouse works, filling box c step 2

I am married filled jointly and my husband works. On the step 2 (Multiple jobs or spouse works) of my W-4 I am not sure if I should select or not the box (c): "If there are only two jobs total, you may check this box. Do the same on Form W-4 for the other job. This option is accurate for jobs with similar pay; otherwise more tax than necessary may be withheld" because as my husband works, it would make sense to select this option. However, we do not have similar pay. Right now I don't have it selected, but I am not sure if this is correct. Thank you.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
jacquieb
Expert Alumni

Hi @Nataliafanelli 

Here is a link to a calculator to help determine what you should be entering on your W-4. 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

One thing to remember is that when you are both claiming married filing jointly for withholding, your taxes are being withheld with the assumption that you will have 2 standard deductions for married filing joint (one for each of you), but of course when you file you only have one standard deduction. This can lead to under withholding, so it's important to be sure you fill the W-4 out correctly. You can go through the calculator and worksheets, but you can also each just claim single and leave the rest of the W-4 blank. This doesn't mean you will file as "single" at tax time, it just helps withholding to be calculated correctly for a 2 earner household.

Hope this helps! 🙂

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi @jacquieb, thanks for your answer. I have used the calculator and the amounts don't make sense to me. First, it appeared for me to declare dependent as "3", and we don't have any dependents, plus it showed me to put a certain amount in the step 4 (b) which is referent to the retirement plan deductions, which I am not sure if this is correct. As following your answer, if I understood correctly, then in our case it is best to leave that option c on step 2 in blank? I am really confused on that. Thanks again for your clarification.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies