Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

obxnc2017

Spouse is deceased and software cannot remove him as primary!

My husband died in Feb of 2022 - last year the return was filed and he was primary.  Using the SAME profile for 2023 filing - removing him as he is no longer valid for this return.  IRS keeps rejecting my filing saying the primary on the return is deceased.

There is clearly an issue inside the software retaining this data somewhere.  Twice rejected and twice on the chat with "experts".  I was told if it gets rejected again, print and mail it.

I have asked for a refund of all or part of my fee paid to Turbo Tax as they cannot seem to find this issue and I see this keeps happening to others.

If I can get my money back, I will refile with H&R block.

Ridiculous

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Please provide the following info

Are you using online or desktop, and if desktop - Mac or Windows?

Which TurboTax product are you using  eg: Basic, Deluxe, Premier . . .

I suggest you look at the following

1)  Check Personal Info >  You and your family

a)  Ensure the Names, SSNs and marital status are correct

b)  EDIT to make changes.

After making these changes

Check the Print Preview option in the Print Center (upper right corner)  (if it is available to you) and review your federal FORM 1040 to ensure the correct names and SSNs and other data is accurate.

Alternately, you may be able to click the Forms option, also in the upper right corner to see the data entered.

Sorry you can't remove or change the primary person listed.  You have to set up a new account.  My husband died last year 2023 so next year for 2024 I will have to file as Single.

You can file a Joint return the year your spouse died.  For the next two years following a husband's or wife's death, the surviving spouse can file as a qualifying widow or widower if they have a qualifying child. That basically lets you continue to use the same tax brackets that apply to married-filing-jointly returns.  After the year of death if you don't have a child you file as Single.

Then to file Single you should start over and set up a new account for yourself and not transfer from last year.  You will have to re enter any prior carryovers and depreciation, etc. manually.  How to start another return in the Online version  

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies