Spouse is a green card resident since March 2020 a...

amymariko

Spouse is a green card resident since March 2020 and just recently got his SSN. How do I finish filing our joint taxes before October 15th?

During tax time I received great advice on here about how to file Married Filing Jointly with me as a US citizen and my husband as a new green card holder without a SSN. Now that we have successfully obtained his SSN, I would like to know how I'm supposed to update that information with the IRS? Do I need to amend my tax return or mail something else in? Thank you in advance!

This is the thread where I originally posted my question:

Tax law states because you are married, you must file you... 

If you have already filed  then you don't amend anything. 

You need to notify the IRS, so it can combine all of your tax records under one identification number. This is from IRS website:

What do I do when I am assigned a social security number (SSN)?
Once you receive a SSN, you must use that number for tax purposes and discontinue using your ITIN.  It is improper to use both the ITIN and the SSN assigned to the same person to file tax returns.  It is your responsibility to notify the IRS so we can combine all of your tax records under one identification number.  If you do not notify the IRS when you are assigned a SSN, you may not receive credit for all wages paid and taxes withheld which could reduce the amount of any refund due.  You can visit a local IRS office or write a letter explaining that you have now been assigned a SSN and want your tax records combined.  Include your complete name, mailing address, and ITIN along with a copy of your social security card and a copy of the CP 565, Notice of ITIN Assignment, if available.  The IRS will void the ITIN and associate all prior tax information filed under the ITIN with the SSN.  Send your letter to: 

Internal Revenue Service 
     Austin, TX 73301 -  0057 

amymariko

Thank you so much!!! 😊