turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

esdub

Hi, I have two jobs. One is very part time and I made less thank $3k. Federal taxes were not withheld for these earnings. See additional details below:

I contacted the payroll company and was told this was because my wages wso low. When adding my W2s to Turbo Tax I am now being taxed on this income. Is this correct? Am I required to pay taxes on this income since I had made a lot more money at my other job? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Hi, I have two jobs. One is very part time and I made less thank $3k. Federal taxes were not withheld for these earnings. See additional details below:

You still have to report that W-2 on your tax return when you receive it. Wouldn't matter if the amount reported was $1. You're required to report all income from all sources on your tax return each year.
esdub

Sorry, my question was cut off. Please see my edited question above. Thank you!
Carl
Level 15

The answer still applies as written. Yes, your tax liability is based on your total income for the year, regardless of the source of that income, and regardless of what each individual source paid you.
esdub

Is there anyway I can be taxed on this income throughout the year instead of waiting until tax time? I now owe taxes on money that I thought was being taxed correctly.
Carl
Level 15

Yes. When an employer hires you, you fill out a W-4 form which that employer uses to determine the amount of taxes to withhold from each paycheck. You can file an updated W-4 with the employer for 2018 and decrease the number of exemptions you claim on that W-4. There's also a box where you can identify an additional dollar amount or percentage to be withheld for taxes if you so desire.
esdub

Thank you!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies