turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sccam555

My wife died In 2016 do I still file jointly and do I need to do anything special on my tax this year or before this years is up?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

My wife died In 2016 do I still file jointly and do I need to do anything special on my tax this year or before this years is up?

Sorry for your loss ... yes, unless you remarry by 12/31/16, you can and should file a joint return. In the following years you will file Single or Qualifying Widow if you have a dependent child (first 2 years after the year of death) or Head of Household if you have a dependent child past the second year after death.   The program will walk you thru all your filing status options as you proceed.... just read the screens carefully & don't skip about. 

Be sure to notify the Social Security Admin if you haven't done so already.

Sorry for your loss.

For 2016 you are allowed to file jointly.  When entering your wife's personal information, there is a box to check for "this taxpayer died during this year."  Make sure to check it.

In most cases, you are automatically allowed to sign for your wife.  However, if there is a will, and probate, and you are not the administrator of her estate, you may need to have the administrator sign for your wife.  That would depend on state law.

You may be blocked from e-filing, since the IRS blocks SSNs of deceased taxpayers to prevent fraud.  If you try to e-file and get rejected, print your return and mail it in.

If you care for a child dependent in your home, you will also be allowed to file as a "qualifying widower" for the next two years, which gives you the married rate even though you are single.

If your wife had tax-deferred retirement accounts, you have several options on how to handle the money that have different tax consequences.   An investment advisor can help or you can post more details here and we can run through the options.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies