Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Son turned 18 in Jan. We claimed him as a dependent for 2016 taxes. He filed as single on his own separately. Going to be a problem?

Now have two tax forms with his name involved. One as our dependent and one as him filing single. His wages did not meet the amount needed for us to have to include in our taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Son turned 18 in Jan. We claimed him as a dependent for 2016 taxes. He filed as single on his own separately. Going to be a problem?

If your son checked the box that said someone else can claim him as a dependent on their return, there should be no problem.

Your comment about "His wages did not meet the amount needed for us to have to include in our taxes" bothers me.  You NEVER include the earned income of anyone other than yourself and your spouse in your tax return, not even if the other person is a dependent.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

If your son checked the box that said someone else can claim him as a dependent on their return, there should be no problem.

Your comment about "His wages did not meet the amount needed for us to have to include in our taxes" bothers me.  You NEVER include the earned income of anyone other than yourself and your spouse in your tax return, not even if the other person is a dependent.

Thank you Howard. And yes he did check that box. I though if he made $6,300 or more we had to claim his wages. Seems like I read that somewhere. Anyway thank you again Howard.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies