turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Someone opened an account and filed with my name and social. What do I do?

3 Replies

Someone opened an account and filed with my name and social. What do I do?

If you efile and it was rejected for a duplicate SS# then your only option is to mail in the return and attach a form 14039 to it ...




Someone opened an account and filed with my name and social. What do I do?

since you may be a victim of identity theft, these are steps recommended by the American Institute of CPAs

Organization What to Do


Credit Agencies

1) Report the identity theft to the fraud department of one of the following reporting agencies as soon as possible. They must notify the other two agencies.

  • Equifax: equifax.com
  • Experian: experian.com
  • TransUnion: transunion.com

2) Request a copy of your credit report and request that only the last four digits of your Social Security number be placed on the report.

3) Close accounts that you think have been compromised or opened fraudulently.

4) Inform the credit bureaus and the credit issuers (in writing) of any fraudulent accounts and incorrect information.

5) Obtain replacement credit cards with new, secure account numbers and destroy any old cards.

6) Notify those who have received your credit report in the last six months to alert them to any disputed, fraudulent or incorrect information.

7) Confirm that an extended fraud alert (seven years) is placed on your credit report.


Federal Trade Commission (FTC)

1) Report the crime to the FTC to establish an Identity Theft Affidavit.


Local Police

1)Report the crime to your local police or sheriff’s department. Make sure to prompt as much documented evidence as possible.

2)Verify that the report lists the fraudulent accounts and keep a copy of the report.


State Tax Agency

1) Contact your state tax agency to report the theft. Some agencies may require a police report and/or the IRS affidavit.


Other Agencies and Organizations

1) U.S. mail fraud: Contact your local postal inspector.

  • Online: postalinspectors.uspis.gov
  • Phone: 800.275.8777

2) Social Security number misuse — non-IRS issues:

-Check your earnings record to make sure no one is using your SSN to obtain work. Call your local Social Security Administration (SSA)

office if something looks inaccurate.

-Contact the SSA Inspector General to report Social Security benefit fraud, employment fraud, or welfare fraud.

  • Online reporting resources:

- socialsecurity.gov/oig

- Fraud Reporting Form

  • SSA fraud hotline: 800.269.0271

Someone opened an account and filed with my name and social. What do I do?

More basically, if someone opened a Turbotax account in your name, the first thing you need to do is contact the security team at Intuit.  Use this phone number and ask for the security or fraud department.



If you are already in touch with the security team, then you will also want to think about the other identify theft measures mentioned.  

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies