yreyrjy303

Someone claimed my dependent without permission. What can I do to claim my dependent

CarolynB

Hi. I am so sorry this has happened to you. Please follow these steps:

• First, revisit the Personal Information section to verify your dependent's Social Security number (if wrong, correct in and then step through the File section to resubmit your return)
  • If you already verified this information, you'll need to paper-file your return as the IRS will continue to reject your attempts to e-file
  • Then, if you know who claimed your dependent, ask them to amend their return by removing the dependent or their personal exemption. Amendment processing can take weeks, even months, which is why it's best to paper-file your return in the meantime.
  • If the other taxpayer is uncooperative, the IRS will eventually contact both of you to figure out who gets to claim the dependent. The losing party will then be liable for any additional taxes, penalties, and/or interest as a result of the false claim.

I hope this helps and you are able to resolve this issue.

CarolynB

lillyanathomas

I've found out who claimed my dependent