Sold some ESPP in 2020 which I acquired in 2017; I...

justinmix

Sold some ESPP in 2020 which I acquired in 2017; I don't have the form 3922 for that year anymore. Do I need to get a copy of it?

Basically sold some ESPP which I acquired in 2017 for tax year 2020. TT is asking me for information such as "Date option granted", "price share on grant date", etc. I don't have that information available anymore. Do I need to re-request form 3922, and would this be from the IRS? 

ThomasM125

The form 3922 would come from the broker that handled the investment purchase and sale. 

If you have ordinary income reported on your W-2 form from the stock sale, you don't need the form 3922 to enter the sale in TurboTax. Just enter the form 1099-B like you would for a stock sale, but adjust the gain reported by decreasing your gain reported on the form 1099-B by the amount of income reported on your W-2 for the ESPP share sales.

You will see an option to adjust your gain when you enter the form 1099-B as follows:

justinmix

Thanks, Thomas. The first part makes sense to me. However, this part: "but adjust the gain reported by decreasing your gain reported on the form 1099-B by the amount of income reported on your W-2 for the ESPP share sales." Is confusing to me. I am assuming that the W2 will break down a section where my income is from ESPP, but it does not break it down into a specific section. How would I get this info? Even if this is a qualified disposition?