turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

justinmix

Sold some ESPP in 2020 which I acquired in 2017; I don't have the form 3922 for that year anymore. Do I need to get a copy of it?

Basically sold some ESPP which I acquired in 2017 for tax year 2020. TT is asking me for information such as "Date option granted", "price share on grant date", etc. I don't have that information available anymore. Do I need to re-request form 3922, and would this be from the IRS? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Sold some ESPP in 2020 which I acquired in 2017; I don't have the form 3922 for that year anymore. Do I need to get a copy of it?

The form 3922 would come from the broker that handled the investment purchase and sale. 

If you have ordinary income reported on your W-2 form from the stock sale, you don't need the form 3922 to enter the sale in TurboTax. Just enter the form 1099-B like you would for a stock sale, but adjust the gain reported by decreasing your gain reported on the form 1099-B by the amount of income reported on your W-2 for the ESPP share sales.

You will see an option to adjust your gain when you enter the form 1099-B as follows:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
justinmix

Thanks, Thomas. The first part makes sense to me. However, this part: "but adjust the gain reported by decreasing your gain reported on the form 1099-B by the amount of income reported on your W-2 for the ESPP share sales." Is confusing to me. I am assuming that the W2 will break down a section where my income is from ESPP, but it does not break it down into a specific section. How would I get this info? Even if this is a qualified disposition? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies