Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Social Security benefits for minor

My son, who is an unemployed minor, receives a social security benefit, because his father is a 100% disabled US veteran. The benefit is sent to me, to be used on our son's behalf.  Is this something I should be claiming as income on my tax return?

2 Replies
Level 15

Social Security benefits for minor

No, do not enter this on your tax return.   Someday when your son has some other income, like from his first job, he will enter the SSA1099 on his own tsx return.   Until then, it does not get entered on a tax return.  It is not taxable for you.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Employee Tax Expert

Social Security benefits for minor

Hello Blue Thorness, 

Hope you're doing great!

Is the 1099 from Social Security Administration that you received is under your child's social security number?  If yes, you do not include your child's social security benefits on your tax return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.



Manage cookies