Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

So I bought an EV for 26999+ in 2022. I filed a 8936 for my federal credit, but lousiana has a state credit. Form 8849 seems to be what I need, but can't find it. Help?

This state tax credit appears to have been retroactively reinstated by bidens recent tax act, and now it suggests I use a form 8849 to get this state tax credit back. How can I do this with turbo tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

So I bought an EV for 26999+ in 2022. I filed a 8936 for my federal credit, but lousiana has a state credit. Form 8849 seems to be what I need, but can't find it. Help?

Louisiana taxes income differently then the federal level. Here's our forms availability for federal and state tax forms. I can't locate a Form 8849 for the state of Louisiana credits or deductions. I have yet to read about a credit they are offering for EV vehicles in tax year 2022. I read about a credit of 10% up to $2,500 but can't find where it applies after January 1, 2022. This may be a credit that no longer applies for tax year 2022 filed in 2023. 

@e0a87bc6794d

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for this response, however it appears that the biden administration has created extensions on this tax credit to the end of 2024.

Please view this article, and advise:

https://louisianacleanfuels.org/Louisiana_Tax_Credits_and_Laws#:~:text=This%20bill%20has%20been%20ex....

On irs.gov I have seen that an 8849 is the current means to purse this.

Thank you.

MichaelG81
Expert Alumni

Yes, this is a federal tax credit, in fact, Louisiana charges a tax if you own an EV vehicle per year. The website you are referring to is only for informational purposes according to clean fuels in Louisiana and tax credits that are available at the federal level, it does not specify a state credit. Biden can only sign federal law at this time, not state law. Contact your local taxing office for more information. 

Louisiana Department of Revenue: 855.307.3893

@e0a87bc6794d

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies